Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Little Readers - Blown Away by Rob Biddulph



What happens when a penguin flies a kite? Disaster! Rob Biddulph is a fantastic author and a very talented artist, this book reads like a rap and drags you through the pages. I kept having to remind myself to slow down so I could study the hilarious illustrations. 


The characters are quirky and occasionally aloof but also endearing. This book, with its oddball cast and tonal flat aesthetic has a very 'grown up' feel. Sometimes there's a tendency for children's books to assume that children won't appreciate graphic design, not so on these pages, Rob treats his young readers as grown up critics and I love him for it!




Seriously I would frame some of these pages! I loved the fun and energy in this book, it leaps from each page, especially after the austerity of the first few scenes. 


The layout of this book keeps it interesting for readers and watchers. The illustrations split and divide in funny places and occasionally there's graphic art to add richness to the story meaning that you can read it again and again and it still feels fresh.


We borrowed this from the library but I loved it so much that I ordered a copy to put on our own shelf. It's eccentric and harebrained and brilliant! We need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment