Saturday, June 25, 2016

Hello Summer!

Irish people LOVE a moan, especially about the weather but the start of Summer this year may only be described as a glorious, golden, glowing explosion. This means that we in the Happy House have been getting stuck into the garden and readying it for sale! Holmes and Claude are behaving so well in the Humans' Garden!

I say getting stuck in, there has been lots of cuddles, cheap novels and chilled rose petal tea but oh well! At 8 months pregnant that is absolutely my prerogative!

Claude (B) and Holmes (T) are rarely let into this part of the garden, mostly because it usually ends up like a scene from Crouching Doodle Hidden Shit which does not go down well at a garden party and is a nightmare to remove from picnic blankets but we've been making exceptions for them recently.

"To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow" and normally planting out our veg patch is one of my happiest Summer moments for precisely this reason however this year it's been a rather sobering experience as we don't have very many tomorrows in our lovely first home! We know that we probably won't be here to harvest anything we plant and it hit me harder than I thought it would. In previous years we've had potatoes, broccoli, courgettes, sweet corn, every root you can bury and most readily available leaves but this year we've decided to cut back. We planted just enough rows of salad, carrots and peas to 'bluff' a veg patch and impress upon any potential buyers that the house comes with a low maintenance mini allotment and suddenly my gorgeous garden filled with plants I've practically named and birds I actually have named (Buenos dias Ramirez el Chaffinch y Rodrigo el Robin) has been reduced to a commodity. Maybe its just the hormones but I feel like I'm pimping it out and now whenever I look at those underwhelming rows of salad I can't help but feel a little sad!

But it's hard to be sad for too long with these adorable brutes around!





No comments:

Post a Comment