Sunday, June 26, 2016

Raspberry Tea


EDIT: Labour has passed and the tea was tested to it's limits! I can't say if it helped or not as I have no tea-free labour to compare it to, however I CAN say that I had a short, straight forward, natural labour. Was that down to the tea? Probably not but it definitely wouldn't have hurt!  

When you're pregnant you attract all sort of things like acne, a burning chest dragon, fluid (how can my feet/hands/bladder hold this much) but most unfortunate of - all unsolicited advice. Some of it is hilarious; "vaccines cause Autism." Some of it is maddening "you really HAVE to breast feed for at least a year." Only a tiny amount of it is actually useful with an even smaller amount being well intentioned. When my neighbour suggested I start drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea in the last few weeks of pregnancy I'd reached advice fatigue and ignored her! I'd never heard of the benefits of Raspberry Leaf Tea (not to be confused with Raspberry Tea) but she insisted that it made delivering her middle child much easier than of either her first or last child. Finally having eventually researched it I'm totally won over by it's many claimed advantages and raging I didn't start it sooner. In fact, it sounds so good that I'm sure some it is exaggeration...but I am not adverse to a bit of a placebo!

Most evidence is anecdotal and there's virtually no official data, but I found a few bits of evidence.


  • According to studies drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea can lead to shorter active labour because it strengthens and tones the muscles of your uterus making you a better pusher! 
  • Another study found that among drinkers there was fewer cases of assisted delivery. 
  • Yet another study found that drinking it during labour (who has time for that?!) made your uterus contract quicker, limited bleeding and quickened the letting down of breast milk (I'm not sure what letting down means, sorry). 
  • Perhaps most convincingly two other mothers I've spoken to have all confirmed its stretchy womb wonders. 
Before you go thinking that Raspberry Leaf Tea is a miracle drug that will will turn your uterus into a steam train WAIT...

  • Another 'study' found it to have absolutely no effect. 
Hurray for evidence based contradictory medicine! I'm going to be honest and say that the words "shorter labour" and "less bleeding" are enough to over ride that pessimistic, party pooping last study! Even if it does nothing there's no harm in a cup of tea, especially when it has so many essential maternity nutrients in it for Mom and Baby (calcium, magnesium and iron).

Tip: this tea is reported to be disgusting, I wouldn't know though because I bought Heath and Heather Raspberry Leaf Tea which is mixed with hibiscus and tastes divine!

Further Tip: there's a whole load of advice about when NOT to drink this tea (before 32 weeks, if you're spotting, if you're having a caesarian etc) so probably best to do your own reading and make up your mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment